I must admit, I am quite envious of some of the blogs I read. Most of them are single and free people and don’t have the obligation of raising children. Especially not on their own. I see blogs of families who go off on never ending adventures and yeah, I’m a little jealous at times. But, I have to remind myself that things aren’t always what they seem. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I know for a fact that it takes a TON of work to run a blog or business while on the road. Sure you can work whenever you want, but you still have to work!
For a single parent though, it’s a little more complicated. In the two scenarios above, you are either child free, or have a partner to help with the heavy stuff. When you are going it alone you pretty much just have to rely on yourself. Because of this obligation or commitment to our kids it makes things a bit more complicated. We can’t just jet off on a weekend, or go spend a few months traveling Europe. Well, we can, but it takes a lot more planning and funds on our part. If you are lucky enough like I am, maybe a family member will watch your kids while you are traveling. But, you know you can only stay gone for so long. The longest trip I have ever taken was two weeks in Ireland and England. It was hard on both the little Ginger and myself. So I promised her I would take her with me from now on. Plus she is getting a little older and will be able to appreciate it more.
Because of this added expense, I’ve had to get creative with saving and making money. I am always trying to come up with a way to make extra money. Since you might be like me and work a full time job, finding time for an extra job isn’t always the best option. So I have come up with a list of ways to make extra money for a trip, or for whatever else you might need it for!
- Start a Blog! There are tons of websites out there that will help you get started. Each one just as good as the next. But, I recommend NomadicMatt’s Media School. You will get the most bang for your buck if you are looking to get serious about this blogging life.
- Ride sharing! If you’ve got a day or two off during the week while your kids are in school, or on the weekend. You can drive for Uber or Lyft. This doesn’t really work for me as I live in a rural community. But, if you are in a city this is a great option if you have a car.
- Freelance! Do you have office skills? Can you design ads, websites, etc.? Are you a sharp eye when it comes to mistakes? Then you can make a few extra bucks on the side. On websites like Freelancer and Fiverr clients post little jobs they need done. You bid on them, and if you win and do a good job you get paid! It’s that simple.
- Petsitting! Lots of people have animals and if you love them this should be an easy one for you. Pet Sitting is a great way to make extra money doing something you love. Taking care of someone’s family pet. It could be for a day or a week. I would also lump dog walking in this category as well. Many people don’t want to board their animals while away on vacation or for business. This is where you come in! You can find jobs on sites like Rover and PetSit.
- Hosting! Do you have an extra room in your house? Are you interested in meeting new people and helping those people discover your town or city? Then sites like Airbnb (If you click this link I will get a $15 referral fee at no cost to you! So why not help a sister out?).
- Yardsale! If you are like me, and have WAY more things than what you actually need, this is a win win situation. You make money and get rid of all that extra clutter in your house. Who really needs a hundred utensils when all you use are the same ones every day? Those clothes that are hanging in your closet that you haven’t wore in six months are just taking up space. You can advertise in your local newspaper and people will come from miles to dig through your stuff. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
- Surveys! Survey sites don’t pay much. But, it’s a good way to make a few bucks. Eventually it adds up. You might try sites like Swagbucks. I have personally used that one in the past.
- Cash Back! Sites like Ebates are great! I personally use this one and I know of another called Honey. These sites search for thousands of coupons on the internet and apply the best one when you checkout. Ebates sends you a check for the money you have accumulated over time, or you can request a check once you have a certain amount built up. I also use Ibotta in a similar way. When I go grocery shopping at places like Walmart or Target I check the app. The retailers will have cash back on certain items. So I always check the app to see if there is anything that I am going to be buying. You save those items in your list then once you have made your purchases simply scan the receipt. Then Wallah! Cash back!
- Crafts! Are you crafty? Do you have a crafty skill? Are you great at making jewelry, painting, sewing? Then sell your items on sites like Etsy. It’s pretty easy to set up a store on there so get to making those crafts!
As you can see there are plenty of ways to make extra money for your life or travels. Pick the one that works best for you, or maybe even pick two! I hope this helps someone realize that it’s totally possible to make a little extra money each month without completely burning yourself out. As single parents we have to be all things to our children. Mother, father, friend, and caregiver; it’s an exhausting job. So, anyway we can earn a few extra bucks and keep our sanity is a win for me. Please let me know if any of these have worked for you.
(Disclaimer: I am not being paid by any of these places. I am simply putting in a link in case you are interested in checking them out. I would not promote anything unless I thought it was worth promoting.)